Mention K’ya Restaurant to locals and “foreigners” and the response is the same: “What’s it called?”
It’s K’ya. Pronounced: “Hi ya!” It’s in the La Casa del Camino Hotel at Cress Street and PCH.
Five years ago, Chef Craig Connole took over Savoury’s here, introducing a menu he describes as “Pacific Asian with some Nebraska thrown in.” He then opened The Rooftop upstairs (big O.C. singles scene) and renamed Savoury’s to K’ya, altering the menu again to offer 80 “small plates” that average $5 – $10.
The Rooftop, with her ocean views and dress-to-impress singles, gets the flashy attention and press. But don’t let this sway you. It’s K’ya – the quieter sister – that proves the true beauty.
The small plate issue: Food arrives on a small plate, yes. The servings, however, are far from small. Most can be easily shared.
The overwhelm issue: Don’t let the large menu frustrate you. Just close your eyes and point. Whatever shows up will be some of the best tasting food you’ve ever had.
Still second-guessing yourself? Here are Chef Craig’s Top 5 Favorites:
- Calamari in Thai Glaze – flash fried then served with peanuts, carrots, cilantro and bean sprouts to mix in as you please.
- Crispy Opakapaka – mild fish that’s flash fried with delectable lemon salsa
- Blackened Catfish in Lobster Creole sauce – one of the most memorable eats, hands down, this catfish is flown in from Thailand, sautéed and mounded high with big morsels of lobster
- Lobster Mac & Cheese – for the record, this version has officially replaced one of the world’s 7 “deadliest sins.”
- White Bean Cassoulet – heavenly fragranced broth, rich in perfectly-cooked beans, rounds of sausage, planks of duck and chunks of beef filet.
How to Find Kya:
From Laguna’s Main Beach (the first big beach at Broadway and PCH), continue south on PCH just under one mile (.9). K’ya will be on your right in the La Casa del Camino Hotel at PCH and Cress St.
Definitely unless you want to take your chances on a seat at the bar. Click here to make a reservation online: http://www.kyarestaurant.com/laguna/index_laguna.html or call K’ya at 949-376-9718.